Gorky Park Moscow – things to see and do
Gorky Park is a first-class park, located in the heart of Moscow.
In 1928 it was established and named after Maxim Gorky, an outstanding Russian and Soviet writer, so it’s full name is Maxim Gorky Central Park of Culture and Recreation. The main architect of the Park which covers about 250 ha was Melnikov. The territory of the Park consists of 3 main parts: Parterre, Neskuchny Garden, “Vorobyovy Gory” nature sanctuary and of Moscow State University’s green areas.
Several generations of Soviet people were enjoying themselves and spending their weekends there: dancing, playing chess and strolling the lanes, feasting their eyes on the sculptures of «The Girl with the Paddle» and «The Ballerina», passing by historical buildings.
Since 2011 Park Gorkogo or Park Kultury (as it’s called in Russian) has been laying down new standardsand today with all the improvements, it is still not only a physical but also a conceptual place, a certain atmosphere. People come here to get impressed and relaxed, to do things that they can’t usually manage to do in the intense city rhythm. No wonder this place is cherished by tourists as much as by locals, so everyone is always welcome to visit Gorky Park Moscow on his / her own or on one of our Moscow private tours.
MOSCOW GORKY PARK IS OPEN FOR VISITORS 24/7. ENTRY IS FREE
Services at Gorky Park
- Free Wi-Fi, plug sockets for charging mobile devices and computers;
- Cycle lanes, beaches, sunbeds, hammocks arranged throughout the park;
- Children’s playgrounds and baby changing facility (in the green toilet on Central Alley);
- Fountains with drinking water on every path;
- Free library: “bookcases” near some park benches and rental centers. You can choose, read or exchange any book you want, or even take it with you;
- All steps are fitted with wheelchair ramps for visitors with disabilities;
- Emergency service panels all over the park;
- Medical station in the Sports center building;
- Parking and Promsvyazbank ATM at the Main Entrance;
- Broad range of snack bars and cafés: Russian, Chinese, Georgian, Italian cuisines, fast food, homemade lemonade, bakery, coffee, etc.
Main Entrance, M. Gorkiy Monument, Park Museum, Giftshop, Observatory, Educational center, Sport center, Music stage, Pioneer pond, Ballerina sculpture, Pushkin quay, Figure and Rosarium fountains, Olive beach and cafe, Large Mass field, Andreevsky pedestrian bridge, Radisson Royal Flotilia pier, Shestigrannik pavilion, Garage museum of contemporary art, Delicate rotunda, Rotundas of Holitsyn hospital, Park Directorate.
Neskuchny Sad (Nonboring Garden)
Green Theatre, The Work Station, Stone bridges, Count Orlov’s Summer house, Hunting lodge, Grotto and Bathhouse; Cascade Fountain, Rotunda commemorating the 800th anniversary of Moscow.
Vorobyovy Gory (Sparrow Hills)
Observation point, Ski jump, Ecocentre, Escalator gallery, Chairlift, Andreevsky ponds and Monastery, Luzhnetsky Metro Bridge, Church of the Life-giving Trinity, Site of N. Ogarev’s and A. Herzen’s Oath.
Gorkiy Park for Kids
- The Green School is located near Pioneer Pond, right behind the music stage in the same building as the ‘Garage’ Centre. It’s a club for young naturalists. There live Maffy the Rabbit and Venera the big Snail, parrots, rabbits and turtles. It has a small garden and veranda, woodwork shop, library, greenhouse, culinary studio and crèche);
- Rabbit Hut – Home of Tolik the Rabbit;
- Shardam – Winter activities in the park;
- Mini Zoo in Neskuchny Garden;
- Monstrum – A playground with unusual entertainment.
Cafes and snack bars at Park Gorkogo Russia
- Russian, Chinese, Georgian, Italian cuisines;
- Vegetarian food;
- Fast food;
- Homemade lemonade, bakery, coffee, etc.
Things to do at Gorky Park
Park Gorkogo offers a programme of events for all levels of participation, for example:
- jogging, exercise;
- working out in the open;
- any activities on the lawns;
- free dance and yoga lessons;
- free lessons of painting and eloquence;
- sports: traditional and table tennis, basketball, football, beach volleyball and skating
Park Gorky Fauna
Can you imagine a park without any animals? We don’t! Here in Gorky Park you will meet rabbits, dears, swans, ducks, squirrels and pheasants (some of them can be treated with a special feed bought in pavilions). Where to meet them: Mini Zoo, Rabbit Hut, Green School and throughout the park.
You can also bring your own animals but please clean up after your pet. Use muzzles and leads for a large breed.
Where is Gorky Park
Address: 9, Krymsky Val street. The main entrance is easily reached in a 10-minutes walk from the nearest metro stations: Oktyabrskaya or Park Kultury.
Visiting Park Gorkogo
Kremlin Tour offers you an opportunity to have fun and amuse yourself in Gorky Park with a Moscow tour guide on one of our Moscow private tours. It will be an adventure, enjoyable definitely for everyone, especially for travellers with kids!